Homeowners and property managers looking to install a swimming pool will need to understand the pool code rules mandated by the International Code Council (I.C.C.), or known by their former name, the Building Officials and Code Administrators (B.O.C.A.). They outline strong safety standards for swimming pool fences. In an effort to eliminate accidental drowning of children in pool areas, these standards are recognized by many communities throughout the world for pool areas.
The I.C.C. pool code panel safety specifications include:
• Fence panel must be at least 48” tall
• Distance from the top of the bottom rail to the top of the next highest rail must be at least 45”
• Spacing between pickets must be less than 4”
• Space from the bottom of the bottom rail to the ground must be less than 4”
For pool gates, the I.C.C. specifications include:
• Must have self-closing hinges
• Must have self-closing latches
• The gate must open out (away from the pool area)
• Opening mechanism of the latch must be at least 54” above the ground
• Must not use a cross brace on the gate
Several Freedom® vinyl and aluminum fences are pool code approved at the national level. Note that codes not only vary by state but also by locality. Always be sure to check the requirements in your area before ordering and installing a fence.